Monday, October 27, 2014

Three Cheers For The Music That Means The Most

Hello Angels,

Music is something that I think everyone can relate to in some sort of way. And I'm pretty diverse with my music, I'll listen to almost everything (except country because country sucks unless it's Johnny Cash. Also I hate rap music usually). Music means a lot to me and there are some songs in particular that have meant a great deal to me over the past few years. I feel like if you want to relate to me, you have to do it on a musical level. A guy who is musically talented is, to me, more attractive than one who isn't. Sing me a song and you will have my heart. Or at the minimum at least like these bands. So here's a list of the songs and artists that have gotten me through some rough patches in my life and that I hold very dearly to my heart.

  1. Mayday Parade  I cannot limit this band to one song really. Mayday Parade means more to me than I could ever describe in a post. I could go on and on for days about how much I love this band and if you don't know my obsession with them, I'd say you must not know me at all. I have loved them for a very long time, since Miserable At Best first came out. This band has helped me through a lot of rough patches in my life, every emotionally draining thing I've ever gone through this band has been there. My favorites include "Three Cheers for Five Years", "Kids in Love", "Terrible Things", "Stay", "When You See My Friends", "Angels", "You Be The Anchor", and pretty much all of them. There is not one single song that I don't like or that I don't know. When I saw them setting up on stage at my first Warped Tour it was the first time I was finally able to see them live and I could have almost cried from happiness. I got those butterflies you are supposed to get when you see the love of your life. Easiest way to become my best friend, talk about this band or just say you love them at least a little.     
  2. Ed Sheeran - All of the Stars  I've been in love with Ed Sheeran for a very long time before this song ever came out, back when no one even knew who he was or cared to know. He came up as a related artist to The Fray and so I listened and fell in love. His whole album + is incredible and that album in and of itself means a great deal to me but his recent song All of the Stars is my favorite. It's incredibly beautiful and it is for one of my favorite stories, The Fault in Our Stars. He has also done "I See Fire" for another of my favorite movies The Hobbit and I love that one as well.
  3. Mumford and Sons - Hold Onto What You Believe Another band that has meant a lot to me for a very long time. Probably the only band with a banjo that I could ever fall in love with. This particular song is my favorite, the lyrics are very meaningful and inspirational. I enjoy everything of theirs but when I'm feeling a little down this song is my go to of theirs. 
  4. Coldplay - O & A Sky Full of Stars I love Coldplay so much. Their whole album Ghost Stories was one I listened to over and over again this past summer, usually when I was driving home late at night after work. It just seems to fit when it's dark and the stars are out. I love "Sky Full Of Stars", it's very up lifting and just makes you want to smile. Their older stuff has also influenced me a great deal, such as Viva La Vida, which I used in a project once about the French Revolution. 
  5. Jimmy Eat World - Hear You Me & The Middle  "Hear You Me" is the song I always say I want played at my funeral (still want that so no one forget it). It's beautiful and sad but it's amazing. "The Middle" is of course a great encouraging song for when you feel like giving up and it's certainly given me some encouragement throughout the years, especially recently. 
  6. We The Kings - Just Keep Breathing  This is another inspirational one and another band I had the pleasure of seeing at Warped Tour. The lyrics are prime and this song is a very good motivational song and it's a little less down than some of my other ones. 
  7. Sleeping With Sirens - Iris Cover  I like the original of this song don't get me wrong, but I fell in love with Sleeping With Sirens version of it. I love how Kellin sings it and it's just so beautiful. I listen to it a lot and I don't think I will ever grow sick of it.
  8. Go Radio - Goodnight Moon & Go To Hell  "Goodnight Moon" is a song that if I had a boyfriend I would want him to sing to me. I mean Mayday Parade would be prime but their songs are all about break ups or people dying so this would really be better. Plus it has Jason Lancaster, who used to be a singer for Mayday Parade. Also "Go To Hell", obviously not a very nice song but I love it. It just makes me walk with a little extra bounce in my step and I want to sing it to everyone who has wronged me.   
  9. Real Friends - I've Given Up On You  I love this song and it's actually a band that I have just started listening to this past year. This is my favorite song of theirs and I was able to see this band at Warped Tour as well. It's just kind of one of those songs that you can listen to when a boy tries to play with your heart or you are feeling the feels. Guys are jerks sometimes so this is just a nice little fit for when you get that feeling of disappointment. 
  10. Blink 182 - I Miss You   This band is obviously gold. I have already stated that I like their song "First Date" but this song in particular is my favorite of theirs. It's just an all around perfect song from a perfect band. Because sometimes I miss people. 
  11. Panic! At The Disco  This is another band I will just do in general. I love their songs and their weirdness.  I have been obsessed with them for a long time now, got a t-shirt and everything. I've been with them through their lost members, the removal of the ! and then when it came back. I've just been with them through it all. 
  12. Micheal Buble - Close Your Eyes  Despite my other taste in music, I always love a little Buble around Christmas time. When the weather starts getting cooler or at least when I feel like it should, his music will often be in my playlists. "Close Your Eyes" is one of his songs that is not Christmas related that I love. As always Buble's voice is beautiful and something about it is just soothing and reminds me the Christmas season. 
  13. Josh Groban - You Are Loved (Don't Give Up) & Brave   Josh Groban is another singer that I tend to only listen to after the snow has fallen. I like this song in particular because of the message and I also really like "Brave" for the same reasons. When it starts to snow for some reason I listen to him as well as Buble more than I should, especially when it gets closer and closer to Christmas. I love their Christmas music. 
  14. Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah  This is a very well known song, but Jeff Buckley's version is by far my favorite. He sings it beautifully and I love listening to it when I'm just in that kind of soft music mood. 
  15. Saosin - You're Not Alone This song is just wonderful. It's an amazing song that gives you a little reminder that you're not alone and everything will turn out just fine. It's beautiful and I love it. 
  16. Twenty One Pilots - House of Gold  I feel like I have to include this because this is that one song that comes on and I crank it up all the way and tell everyone I'm with that "this is my jam!" because it's just so catchy and awesome. I love singing it at the top of my lungs and if you are ever in the car with me, odds are you will be subjected to this song. Another one that I say is my jam is "Sweater Weather" by The Neighborhood. 
  17. Our Last Night - Sunrise   Our Last Night is a band that I feel like isn't very well known, but they are one of my favorites. I usually tend to love their cover's of pop songs more than the original pop songs themselves. They just add that touch that makes it better. This song also has a good message that I really like, very encouraging. 
  18. Paramore - Ignorance  I have loved Paramore for a very long time as well. Since the days of "Misery Business" and "Crush Crush Crush". I have purchased many shirts that no longer fit me and I have a guitar chord book of their first album. This song in particular switches gears of the other songs a little that deal with encouragement and motivation. This is the song I listen to when I'm a bit on edge and moody. 
  19. Pierce the Veil with Kellin Quinn - King For A Day   This is pretty much as hardcore as I get. I've listened to some a little bit more hardcore than this, but none that I would really put on this list. I do like some screaming once in a while but I have to have some sort of singing in the song in order to like it (I listen to We Came As Romans and bands like it). This is one of those ones that I like when I'm feeling a little feisty. 
  20. Johnny Cash - Get Rhythm & Walk the Line  Like I said, I like a little Cash every now and then. These two are my favorites. Get Rhythm is one of the best pick me up songs around and I also love listening to the Joaquin Phoenix version from Walk the Line movie. Johnny Cash is the only country you will ever catch me listening to and let's all be honest, country today sounds nothing like Cash.  
So there we have it. I listen to way more than these 20 but these are the ones that came to mind when I thought of all the songs that have meant a lot to me or that I just really like. I just think music is important and I don't know how anyone could live without it. Listening to music is significantly better than not listening to music.

Sing on Angels and stay classy

No comments:

Post a Comment